Community

Community Action

Who's On The Mat

Blog

Affiliates

From The Heart

My Manduka helps me practice simple gratitude.

-Heather Williams
Kodiak, Alaska

All Ambassadors

Ambassadors

Todd Lavictoire

Todd Lavictoire

Ontario, Ottawa

Why Manduka?: Whenever students ask me about what kind of mat they should get I ask them if they want their next mat to be the last they ever need. Mandukas are invaluable in the sense that they last. No matter the practice, I've never worn out a Manduka, but I've worn through many others. Keeping mats out of the landfill makes karmic sense.

What does your Manduka help you #practice?: My Manduka helps me practice comfortably. Their mats are firm enough to practice dynamic and static balance, while being cushioned enough to soften the pressure of my body's weight on my knees, heals and hands :-) It is always a pleasure to practice on a Manduka mat.

Yoga Style: Ashtanga, Vinyasa

Practice with me here: Upward Dog Yoga

Recent Updates

2010/10/16 - Sthira Sukham Workshop. When: October 16, 2010 from 1-5pm. Where: Upward Dog Yoga Centre, Ottawa, Canada Read More
2010/10/17 - Introduction to Power Yoga. When: October 17th, 2010 from 1-5pm. Where: Upward Dog Yoga Centre, Ottawa, Canada Read More
2010/11/06 - An Introduction to Non-Dualism. When: November 6, 2010 from 1-5pm. Where: Upward Dog Yoga Centre, Ottawa, Canada Read More

Description/Bio

My approach to both my personal practice and my yoga classes has always been one that includes joyfulness and playfulness. I find this integral in finding every student's edge. At whatever point a student may find themselves in their practice, my hope is to encourage a pursuit of excellence without an attachment to outcome. I always try to encourage students to remain happy and playful in their experience of their practice and mindful that, in the end, being present in the moment is what is most essential to yoga. My yoga practice has helped me with every facet of my life. My kids Ethan, Maya and Dharma are some of the primary benefactors of my partner's and my yogic pursuits -- always striving to live from the heart.

My journey can be characterized as a seeker's journey, of sorts, I have always been curious. For a long while I focused on the kind of wisdom that could be learned in academia. After dabbling in Physics, then Chemistry, then Math, all of which I enjoyed but had no passion for, I found English Literature and Philosophy.

All that said, I ultimately found wisdom, and not simply the information and insight that academia provides, in yoga. I have been very fortunate to have so many great teachers to thank. I am indebted to Yogi Vishvketu and Chetana Panwar for my 200hr TTP. I will remember the brilliance they exuded during that time. It was a study in Santosha and Ishvara Pranidhana.

Right now, I am following the Para Yoga Master Training Program 500 hour program under the direction of Yogarupa Rod Stryker. I am truly fortunate and blessed to have found such a great teacher.