Community

Community Action

Who's On The Mat

Blog

Affiliates

From The Heart

On Manduka you are either now here, or nowhere.

-Denise Pala
Oakville, ON

All Ambassadors

Ambassadors

Sarai Harvey-Smith

Sarai Harvey-Smith

London, England

Personal Website

Why Manduka?: I use the Manduka black mats because they are durable, thick, non-slippery and comfortable, everything I could want in a yoga mat!

What does your Manduka help you #practice?: Manduka helps me practice to my full potential.

Yoga Style: Ashtanga, Hatha, Iyengar

Practice with me here: Triyoga Soho and Chelsea

Recent Updates

Description/Bio

Sarai is one of 18 yoga teachers in the UK with Authorization Level 2 teaching qualification from K. Pattabhi Jois Ashtanga Yoga Institute of Mysore, India (KPJAYI), and is a senior teacher with Yoga Alliance.

Sarai’s yoga journey began with some sun salutes taught by her father when she was 12. During her teens she attended Iyenger classes with her mother in Auckland, New Zealand, before discovering Ashtanga in London in the 90s. She immediately cultivated a self-practice at home, attending led classes until discovering what seemed like a revelation: daily Mysore classes!

Struck by this transformative method, she began teaching in 2002, and travelled to Mysore, India to study with the renowned “Guruji” (Sri K. Pattabhi Jois) and his grandson, Sharath. She has returned to Mysore annually for the past 10 years and practises Primary, Intermediate and Advanced A asanas. In London, she cultivated her practise by studying with Hamish Hendry for nine years, assisting and then teaching the late morning Mysore programme at Ashtanga Yoga London, before moving to Triyoga Soho to run the daily Mysore programme. She now teaches Mysore at Indaba, ashtanga at Triyoga, workshops worldwide, and vinyasa flow and alignment based hatha yoga privately.

Sarai has a precise, communicative, and lighthearted approach, and her studies in psychotherapy and Iyengar yoga in recent years have enriched her unique method of teaching. Sarai has a BA (Hons) in Humanities from the University of London.