blog

December 1st, 2010

#Practice Reflection

Another year draws to a close – a time to reflect on friends and family, goals and feats, fingers and feet. View our mats as mirrors that invite us to shift, stretch and fly. When you look back on this year, who do you see? Who has helped you become you in 2010? As we move into 2011, Manduka asks you to #practice reflection.

We invite you to celebrate those who have helped shape your year - returning the kindness to the person who brought you where you are today. On our Facebook and Twitter pages, tell us who your #practice reflects and what this person has inspired in you. If your nominee is also on Facebook or Twitter, tag their name in your post. At the end of the month, we'll randomly select ten of your nominees and thank them for their contributions to your year with a free Manduka kit including an eKO Mat, Mat Sling and Stainless Steel Water Bottle to make 2011 a beautiful year for yoga.

For each of the first 100 nominations we receive, Manduka will donate $10 to charity: water. 1 in 8 people live without access to safe, clean drinking water, putting them at risk for dehydration, disease and limiting their ability to rise from poverty. Bad water kills more people than any form of violence, but together we can change that. It takes just $20 to give one person clean water for 20 years, and Manduka is on a mission to hydrate a whole village! Find out more, or donate directly, at mycharitywater.org/manduka

Head over to Facebook.com/MandukaYoga. Start practicing reflection to make for a radiant 2011.

18 Response(s) to #Practice Reflection

On December 6th, 2010 at 1:59 pm, mar gavlik said:

my friend, christi who helped this old gal as my running partner. with her help i have done a half-marathon and four 5K since june.

i had never ever entered any type of race before this.

On December 9th, 2010 at 5:52 am, Kim Reynolds said:

My yoga teacher, @sweatydarla who opened her studio and heart allowing me to renew my yoga practice. It has changed my life! I am so grateful.

On December 9th, 2010 at 2:02 pm, Kyra Wililams said:

My boyfriend. He's helped me so much in building my new business. It can get frustrating at times as it's hard to separate our romantic relationship from the one where it feels like he is my boss, but he's helped me more than I know.

On December 15th, 2010 at 2:26 pm, Elise Nicole said:

My beautifully radiant friend and soul sister Kelly Stern. She always brings light into my life at the perfect time, and inspires me to practice daily. She is a well rounded yoga teacher and I aspire to follow in her footsteps, every time I feel stuck with my practice, she always has the most encouraging words and kicks my butt back into gear. I am so thankful she crossed my path and helped me to find a love for yoga. Through Kelly, and her inspiring ways, I am making it through one of the toughest times in my life. To her I owe my deepest gratitude :) My mat definitely has a reflection of Kelly.

On December 16th, 2010 at 3:21 pm, kia said:

This year my little yoga buddy helped shape my year. Here is my entry tweet http://twitter.com/#!/bodhi_bear/stat... and here is my son http://bodhibear.net/2010/12/six-months/

On December 16th, 2010 at 3:28 pm, Alyssa N said:

My mom.

She came to a self inflicted near death this summer, and realized how precious her life and family is. She has turned around and left all her discretions behind. In September she found treatment 300kms from home and moved there. She learned to open up and let everyone know about her scars and trauma, in that process she has learned how to start her healing.

Along her journey she discovered yoga and the powerful spirituality and oneness it offered. She is almost done her treatment and plans to go to a Buddhist retreat for recovering addicts.

She has renewed my faith in family, relationships and life. Twice a week when I practice yoga I dedicate my practice to myself because she has showed me how to respect and treat yourself first beyond everything else.

Love, Patience, Communication and Humility.

On December 22nd, 2010 at 4:08 pm, Melissa Williams said:

My "boss" and dear friend Janeen Antonelli gave me my first yoga class to teach at her studio and she has been a very positive influence on me. She always is very encouraging. I have issues with not always having a lot of confidence, which I had to overcome in order to instruct yoga classes. Besides being my boss she has been a great friend. She had a knee replacement surgery in August and spent most of the year recovering. She now beginning to practice yoga again slowly. Her strength inspires me.

On December 22nd, 2010 at 5:36 pm, Lisa said:

My favorite Aunt dies this year and it reminded the valuable lesson of trying to reconnect with myself( inner home) and my family more.

On December 23rd, 2010 at 8:54 am, Amanda Holbert said:

I took a yoga and mindful eating class this fall.The class helped me learn to be way more aware and mindful of what I was eating, but also how to stay grounded during high level stress, when over eating does occur, and also being able to count all my blessings more every day.

On December 23rd, 2010 at 9:33 am, Cindy said:

My Husband Inspires Me !!! He stands by me as I battle a disease that trys to take away my ability to walk and move. He supports me as I have invested in doing yoga, getting the right tools like my manduka black magic pro, Eoins Happy Hips DVD. He helps me to walk when I struggle and is always there by my side helping me to balance on our nature hikes around ponds and trails that I wouldn't be able to do by myself. He has brought much joy and peace into my life accepting the challenges that life has give me yet has fully encouraged me to go forward with all my strength and courage to rebuild my life, retrain my neuropathways, to fight for all I am worth, to overcome this new challenge and be all that I can be. He is my hero. My husband my love.

On December 23rd, 2010 at 3:31 pm, Nyia said:

My mom, definitely. I had to venture off to boarding school last year & it was tough because I was so timid. Whenever I faced an issue, I knew I could call her at any time of day for guidance. She has so much wisdom that only moms can really possess & I'm so blessed to have her with me.

Merry Christmas!

On December 25th, 2010 at 3:29 pm, Sam M said:

My mother has inspired me. She is a strong and an excellent role model. She has showed me how yoga affects her and helps at an old age and inspires to help me now so it can help me even more at her age.

On December 25th, 2010 at 3:36 pm, Sammy said:

My first yoga instructor who believed in me and helped me to see how yoga can change a person.

On December 27th, 2010 at 2:35 pm, Stephanie said:

My yoga instructor Eddie at MBody Yoga in Jacksonville, Florida, inspires me and my practice. I have since moved 3,000 miles across the country, but I still remember the helpful tips and support from his class. He showed me what yoga is all about!

On December 27th, 2010 at 5:29 pm, Michele Mathiesen said:

Cora Wen has most influenced my practice. As I have been blessed to assist her at the Legendary Feathered Pipe Ranch, and at the Asheville Yoga Center I have learned sooo much.

On December 28th, 2010 at 2:53 pm, Lindsey Grossman said:

Lia Aprile (shanti-town.blogspot.com) wrote an article for Breathe on finding balance between her yoga practice and daily life. It's inspired me to be more disciplined with my own practice. Thanks, Lia!

On December 28th, 2010 at 4:51 pm, Matthew Miller said:

My friend KB radically altered my life this year, and all in just a couple months. I was fat, tired, cranky, suffering from a brain tumor and generally miserable all the time.
KB saw through all of that and saw potential. She simply said: "When is the last time you did yoga?" Turns out I hadn't done yoga in about 4 years. She told me the next day "I dreamed you were a yoga teacher last night!" I laughed. I was horrified of yoga.
This was in August of this year.
But I willed myself to go to a yoga class that night, and just dove in.
It was difficult, painful, exhausting, exciting.
75 minutes later, I felt like a new man.
4 months later, I am a new man: I have lost 40 pounds, feel better than I have in a decade and things overall are going well and getting better.
While I owe much of that to yoga, it took my dear friend KB pushing me a little harder than I had been pushed in a while, to go to that yoga class to conquer my fears of yoga and my insistence on being miserable.
KB changed my life and maybe even saved it.

On December 29th, 2010 at 1:49 pm, Elizabeth R. Bain said:

My co-worker Lisa inspires me. This year her husband and the love of her life, Stuart, died. He was young and loved by all, and Lisa was devastated. Lisa continued to practice self-care and yoga. She is now training for "Hustle Up The Handcock," an event that raises money for a Chicago-area cancer charity. Lisa practices yoga, and human-kindness. She's an incredible person.