Community

Community Action

Who's On The Mat

Blog

Affiliates

From The Heart

Your practice will never be same once you try all things Manduka.

-Roland DelaCruz
Makati City, Philippines

All Ambassadors

Ambassadors

Joey Lugassy

Joey Lugassy

Santa Monica, CA

Why Manduka?: I’ve always thought that it was the ultimate of all ironies to be practicing on a mat that was polluting the earth. My new eKO™ Mat is simply the best mat I’ve ever practiced on. I’ll never buy another brand and probably won’t need one again anyway.

What does your Manduka help you #practice?: My Manduka helps me practice with a clean conscience knowing that it's a company that has a respect for the natural world with an emphasis on sustainability. Also, my eKO mat is extra thick and really helps with my knees and other pressure points. I just love it.

Yoga Style: Vinyasa Flow

Practice with me here: Exhale – Venice, CA

Recent Updates

Description/Bio

Joey Lugassy had been studying metaphysics for 30 years before he first tried yoga. He was instantly taken with its quality of moving prayer. This led to bhakti and kirtan; the path of devotion through chant. He has studied with Jai Uttal and since 'performed' with Uttal, Dave Stringer, Bhagavan Das, Krishna Das, Wah!, Shaman’s Dream and recently played at the Greek theatre with India.Arie. He laughs that if he can just get you singing like you do in the shower, his work is almost done. He is often featured at Esalen Institute where he has co-led retreats with Shiva Rea, Seane Corn, Dr. Robert Svoboda, Saul David Raye, Michael Franti and many others. Joey has received his 200 hr. Teacher Training certificate from Yogaworks (Annie Carpenter) and subsequently, has been facilitating the bhakti portion of this course. He enjoys offering a non-sectarian approach to the deities, viewing them as archetypal aspects of consciousness that are common to all faiths and walks. His passion is decoding metaphor that lies at the heart of all the great religions of the world. Joey teaches and leads kirtans mostly in Los Angeles and San Francisco. He leads a second Friday of the month kirtan at Bhakti Yoga Shala (Santa Monica, LA).